Friday 6 April 2012

What makes you beautiful?



This song sounded so innocent at first, catchy lyrics, upbeat and happy tune, sunny, Californian video. What's not to like? Well nothing... Except for the blatant misogynist undertones!

Ok, maybe (Definitely!) I'm being a bit dramatic. Let me explain...

"You don't know you're beautiful, oh oh oh, that's what makes you beautiful!"

This song is meant to promote the idea that it's ok to be shy. Which it is, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being quiet. But the fact that the subject of the song is beautiful because she doesn't know she's beautiful erks me to be honest. Surely the girl is beautiful because she has nice eyes or a 'beautiful soul' (lol).  Is it to say that if she suddenly looked in the mirror and realised that she is beautiful would she then no longer be beautiful?

One of the lyrics in this song actually indicates that the subject is 'insecure'. I've never seen an attractive, insecure person. I really don't see the appeal of a girl or guy being insecure, regardless of their looks. 

What happened to confidence being sexy? Real confidence to just be yourself, regardless of what you look like. Most men I've ever spoken to agree that that confidence is key. A girl who is not afraid to express her opinions is beautiful. A girl who is not afraid to do something weird is beautiful. How much of a turn-off would it be to constantly have to reassure your 'insecure' partner?

I know plenty of beautiful women who know they are beautiful. Actually, all the beautiful people I know are fully aware that they are beautiful. And it's the confidence that stems from this knowledge that makes them even more attractive in my humble opinion. Which is why I wish to conclude that One Direction do not promote a healthy mindset in young girls. A more suitable role model would be LMFAO (Oh, it's THAT kind of party?!) who are ready to embrace confidence which is why I shall sign off with a song with a positive message, now let's all Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle! Yeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Find this interesting? Got something to add? Leave a comment!